ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Zaragoza wins risk prevention award
ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Zaragoza has been named a winner of the 2012 ‘Aragón, committed to risk prevention’ award, presented in December last year by the Aragón Occupational Health and Safety Council.
The company was awarded in the category of companies with more than 50 employees, recognised for its excellent track record in occupational risk prevention.
ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Zaragoza is driven by a real concern for safety, under the slogan "100% to 100%" - 100% of the staff are committed to following 100% of the safety rules every day.
In order to achieve such an impressive safety record, the Spanish site has implemented a series of initiatives to ensure that risks, and accidents, are successfully prevented:
- Training: all employees completed in-depth training to become technicians in occupational risk prevention.
- Leading by example: ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Zaragoza considers that leading by example is essential if you want to have sustainable results. Therefore, specific training was offered and completed by all managers on site.
- Daily assessments: safety performance and risk prevention is assessed on a regular basis, and good performance is encouraged and recognised.
- Bradley curve: ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Zaragoza has been working under the framework of the Bradley curve, which graphically illustrates the changes that occur as a company moves from reactive to dependent, to independent and finally interdependent within an organisational structure. Tailored Blanks Zaragoza has achieved the last phase, becoming interdependent as the staff, besides approaching safety in a proactive way, ensure the safety of their peers.
ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks’ safety achievements in 2012
- More than 3,000 unsafe acts or situations identified and resolved
- Around 200 safety improvement proposals presented (and 90% completed)
- More than 350 behaviour-based safety (BBS) audits conducted
- More than 600 voluntary "safety stewarts", one operator per shift
- One safety audit per day in different areas of the mill, which has led to about 200 audits
- Risk matrix was developed, with more than 500 tasks evaluated
- Three movies filmed in the mill to raise awareness of risks among employees
- Various campaigns launched to increase the workers’ "risk perception"
- Specific tool developed to "measure" the risk perception
This award will serve to further intensify the strong commitment to and passion for occupational risk prevention demonstrated by our colleagues at ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks division in Zaragoza.