This puts ArcelorMittal amongst the top 11% of companies within our industry, and compares favourably against the Global average of C, Europe regional average of C, and the Metal smelting, refining & forming sector average of C.
Designed to harness the competitive spirit of business to raise ambition and spur action on corporate climate action, CDP scores thousands of companies that disclose climate data through its platform each year at the request of their corporate customers and investors.
The positive score reflects CDP’s assessment of ArcelorMittal’s global ambition to be carbon neutral by 2050, our disclosure of climate related financial risks and opportunities, and our work on a broad portfolio of low-emissions technologies designed to reduce carbon emissions, including:
- Carbalyst – captures waste gases from the blast furnace and biologically convert it into bio-ethanol. The €120m launch project at ArcelorMittal Ghent is expected to be completed in 2020.
- IGAR – captures waste CO2 from the blast furnace and converts it into a synthetic gas that can be reinjected into the blast furnace in place of fossil fuels to reduce iron ore. An industrial pilot of this technology is being developed at ArcelorMittal Dunkirk in France.
- Torero – €40m investment to convert waste wood into bio-coal to displace the fossil fuel coal currently injected into the blast furnace. Our first large scale demonstration plant in ArcelorMittal Ghent is expected to be in operation by the end of 2020.
- Reducing iron ore with hydrogen – €65m investment at Hamburg site to increase the use of hydrogen for the direct reduction of iron ore.
- Carbon capture and storage – integrating breakthrough technologies to bring down the costs of capturing, purifying and liquifying CO2 from waste gases. Construction of a carbon capture and storage pilot project, 3D, will begin at ArcelorMittal Dunkirk in 2020 and will be able to capture 0.5 metric tons of CO2 an hour from steelmaking gases by 2021.
- Steligence solutions to aid the design and delivery of low carbon buildings
- S-in motion® range of solutions to reduce the weight of (electric) cars and trucks without compromising on strength, and our iCARe® specialist steels for electric motors.